Questions on Strategy

• Zitat

Don't you sometimes wish steel cans could be melted down into steel?

Every time I run out of coffee beans and end up with a crap load of cans instead. :P Admittedly, that doesn't happen often. But you know how it is. Sometimes one just can't get back to the game in time.

Zitat

- Trying to stop Kahla from surpassing me

LMAO!!!

Zitat

How is everyone else doing?

I'm doing well enough to suit me at the moment. I nuked all but two cafes and replaced the others with four household stores. So far, I'm not having too much difficulty keeping the shelves filled, although ice boxes are tough to find at any price that allows me to make any profit at all. It's a matter of being on at the right time to catch those few that come on market at the lower price. Blink, and they're gone for the day.

I'm nearly finished with the RL that I wanted to reach. But I'm holding off. RL 36 will allow me to make washing machines, a reasonably nice profit maker. But I'll have to make room for those buildings, and I need to decide what to ditch in favor of them. My main focus this round is still working on QL, so I don't plan to raise my RL any further than that.

Speaking of QL, I did get around to putting up a research building. I'd like to add a second soon, but there again, I'll have to figure out what to get rid of in order to make space. The finances aren't a problem at this point.

I'm still doing much better on Best-Manufacturer than I am on Best-Vendor. I've tried to even that out a bit, but haven't made much headway. The products I'd -like- to buy are not readily available at reasonable prices. My tendency to want to "play it safe" hurts me in that way. I'm not comfortable relying on the market for more than one or two products per store, because the market can change drastically overnight, which could wreak havoc with my SV if I suddenly can't buy two or three products.

• Zitat

Originally posted by dktc
    - Making cars, which is a huge disappointment at the finance department.

Really? Do tell me more, please. I thought making cars was supposed to be Nirvana, Utopia, Shangrila, The Promised Land, Heaven...have I left any out? :P

Are there problems?

You'll both be perhaps a little shocked to hear I'm still on RL 4. Decided to stay "down there" and work only on quality of raw materials and such. I've kept one research lab going throughout, occasionally two, but only when working on low quality levels. A bit of a yo-yo, that.

It's also due to the fact that I've not the time to spend that I might have had. I hadn't looked at the Highscores in a while and was mildly surprised to find Afroco is still hovering somewhere in the first 200 or so on some scores, probably because though I haven't advanced much, I also haven't demolished much.

Anyhow, congrats so far Kahla. =)

• Thank you, John. Nothing at all wrong with concentrating on QL. That certainly gives us a leg up later on. I'm sure your QL has -much- more than mine.

As far as cars go, since DDD hasn't posted yet, I would imagine oversupply being a part of the problem. If it's an obvious big profit maker, then I imagine everyone and their brother wants to make it, thus causing the profit margin to lower. Motor-cars (RL 34) at the moment are at a whopping 544% on the SuDe. Ouch. I suspect that if we want to go for the car dealership, we'd be better off trying to keep our RL raised ahead of the majority. That way, we can start selling each of the big ticket items before their selling prices have gone down. And that's not particularly to accomplish for those whose time on the game is very limited.

• Zitat

Originally posted by John Smythe

Really? Do tell me more, please. I thought making cars was supposed to be Nirvana, Utopia, Shangrila, The Promised Land, Heaven...have I left any out? :P

Hmm... Nirvana = you are high on drugs, Utopia = a place that doesn't exist / a system that will never exist, Shangri-la = a hotel group only (which you have to pay a lot to stay in), The Promised Land = still an unfulfilled "promise", Leaven = a supposingly "incentive" for "good" behavior which may or may not be true

... so... the car price has dropped a lot and the steel price is really high :(

D,D&D SP 8)
    Both normal round & speedround

"When they discover the center of the universe, a lot of people will be disappointed to discover they are not it."
    --Bernard Bailey

• I see... Any idea how much higher the steel price might go? Anyhow, I don't mind so much because with my "emerging market" (or less politely, "third world") economy, the best deal I can currently get is upgrading my 8 iron ore mines (already level 7) and converting my can -making plants into plain steelworks. So you see, the higher the steel price the more I start figuring myself for that guy Mittal :]

The only issue hovering on the horizon is how many warehouses I might need since I'm already currently making 100 steel/wu for "export". The more I look at things, the more I realize how much flexibility is the key. What on earth am I doing making steel, then manufacturing the steel into cans, then buying coffee for the cans, then manufacturing cans of coffee, then adding my precious higher-ql milk to the coffee and manufacturing white coffee, and then selling the white coffee for about 9000 when I can sell the steel itself for upwards of 10000?! ?(

Kahla, I'm sure you're way ahead of me on research. Currently I've "patents" of only 710.938.000, though admittedly almost all of that is research into quality.

• Zitat

Originally posted by John Smythe
    I see... Any idea how much higher the steel price might go?

High enough that I regret my decision of not focusing on steel after mid-round. (I have considered it at the end of last round but then rejected it because stdok tuned down the demand ~~)

Zitat

What on earth am I doing making steel, then manufacturing the steel into cans, then buying coffee for the cans, then manufacturing cans of coffee, then adding my precious higher-ql milk to the coffee and manufacturing white coffee, and then selling the white coffee for about 9000 when I can sell the steel itself for upwards of 10000?! ?(

No point making coffee. Waste of $$

D,D&D SP 8)

"When they discover the center of the universe, a lot of people will be disappointed to discover they are not it."
    --Bernard Bailey

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von dktc ()

• I came to the same conclusion a few weeks ago and started buying half of my coffee instead of making it. The only reason I'm not buying it -all- is because it isn't in dependable supply on the market. Even with the supplier I found, it's still sporadic at best.

But true to form, I didn't end up selling steel for longer than a few days, because I soon ended up needing it for a different product. Steel really does seem to be a key product that nearly everyone needs.

Let's see, my patents are at 2.180.658.000 right now. I'm up to RL 36 which is about as high as I intended to go with that, and the rest is QL. The number surprised me - I haven't looked at it in at least a month. It's funny, I was constantly looking at the Balance and Production-Log last round and at the beginning of this one. Now I rarely do.

• Zitat

Originally posted by John Smythearen't Best Vendor and Best Manufacturer mutually contradictory? Is the effect of that to force people who want a highscore rating to concentrate on being one or the other?

Scorekeeping is mystery for English speakers, but help Overall-highscore by balance Best-Vendor and Best-Manufacturer. Make profit from manufacture finished goods and sell in own shops. Improve Best-Vendor by buy finished goods in market and resell in own shops, usually at loss. Just do one each of shops for which you not manufacture goods, so not run through inventory too fast. Check Best-Vendor score (not rank) every tick and add shops until start to go up. Textile and Grocery are best shops to start with, since finished goods plentiful in market. (If manufacture a lot, may have to do more than one of some shops. Jik used to have 10-20 side shops to offset car manufacture, but this round able to buy cars in market to support Best-Vendor.)

• Zitat

Originally posted by Jik

No, that's not right. Jik have rule of thumb formula, but not sure if allowed to post. Maybe players supposed to experiment for themselves.

please post

D,D&D SP 8)

--Bernard Bailey

• Zitat

please post

Trying to get permission from stdok. IT not seem to have direct feedback method to contact game managers. Poster named Quaser say formula has been posted in chat and German. Maybe he will tell you, and Jik will comment. Rules (English language) are confusing to Jik and not sure what is permitted.

You should try to find out before next round, so you get best price in shops and fastest exponential growth of number of buildings. Do QL research now of level 0 finished goods of industry you will start with next round.

• Zitat

Originally posted by Jik
    Trying to get permission from stdok. IT not seem to have direct feedback method to contact game managers. Poster named Quaser say formula has been posted in chat and German. Maybe he will tell you, and Jik will comment. Rules (English language) are confusing to Jik and not sure what is permitted.

You should try to find out before next round, so you get best price in shops and fastest exponential growth of number of buildings. Do QL research now of level 0 finished goods of industry you will start with next round.

Actually, IT does have direct feedback method to contact game managers. You can reach the admins in chat (when they are on), through email (support@industrie-tycoon.de), and pm in-game or in forum. Based on my experiences, their replies are quite timely.

Quaser is very authoritative ;) I do agree with him that we always post the formula (well... at least the wrong one according to you) in forum or in chat.

Maybe you could pm me and I will post it (so you don't break any rules :P)

D,D&D SP 8)

--Bernard Bailey

• Zitat

Actually, IT does have direct feedback method to contact game managers. You can reach the admins ... through email (support@industrie-tycoon.de)

Okay, will email support. Not do PM or chat.

Your formula give much higher price than Jik's. Jik not check formula for several rounds. Will experiment again. If your formula work, then use it, but experiment this round, so you can start next round with confidence. (That is, if you have any fresh products with nonzero QL. Jik will try Colour TV.)

• The only working formula is

norm *(1.5 + (ql/100))
    [round off, e.g. the value is 999.99 you'll sell nothing if you set the price to 1000 instead of 999]

But it only works until a supply of 100%. The actual SUDE-rate cannot be taken from the SUDE-menu, if the product has seasonal wavings (i hope you know what i mean). The SUDE is the yearly average of the product.

edit: just read it

Zitat

Quaser is very authoritative

thanks daniel =)

• how the calculation of QL is made?
    Example :
    I product 280 Steel with 100 QL Max but with iron ore 0QL
    I have a warehouse with 5000 steel QL0
    I consumpt 740 Steel for each hour
    I product engine with 48QL Max

Why my engine has 24 QL ???

Second example :
    Product 500 Steel QL100
    Consumpt 450 Steel
    But the warehouse are full (10 000 Steel QL0)
    If I product engine 48QL max, my engine has 24QL ...

Third example :

Product 500 Steel QL100
    Consumpt 450 Steel
    But the warehouse are empty (0 Steel )
    If I product engine 48QL max, my engine has 48QL ...

• no formula take into account the warehouse and the quality of the products of the warehouse

Why when the production of semi-finished goods is positive, the quality of the products of the warehouse returns in account???

• The ql of end0products produced do depand on the ql of the raw material used. The ql for steel = (max ql of steel + ql of iron ore used)/2 which must be less than or equal to the max possible ql of steel. In your frist case, you produce ql50 steel.

When you have 50000 ql 0 steel in your warehouse, the newly produced 280 ql 50 steel is mixed with them. The end ql = (5000*0 + 280*50) / (5280) = ql 2.

When the engine is produced, its ql = (48+2)/2 = 25. I don't know why you ended up having 24 but it should've been 25 theoretically.

The ql in warehouse is the weighted average of the steel in your whs and those that you produce.

D,D&D SP 8)

--Bernard Bailey

• example : thit morning
    My warehouse

1081 Iron ore QL 0
    941 Steel QL 0
    0 engine

Research :
    Steel 100
    engine 48

Production log :
    Iron ore 280 -280
    Steel 728 -448