Researching QL

• I'm confused as to why chocolate cake isn't showing up on the menu of items to research for QL in my research building.

Chocolate cake is RL 6. I have RL 7. I can make chocolate cake, I can sell chocolate cake in my shops, but I can't research the QL.

Am I missing something?

• For the ql-research of chocolate cake, you need a research building with building level 2.
    building level 0 -> products researchlevel 0
    building level 1 -> products research level 0 - 5
    building level 2 -> products research level 0 - 10

• Yep, you need to upgrade your research facility, which would cost an additional 500k per wu upkeep for every level upgraded.

D,D&D SP 8)
    Both normal round & speedround

"When they discover the center of the universe, a lot of people will be disappointed to discover they are not it."
    --Bernard Bailey

• New question on the same subject. Would you say that it's better to raise the QL:
    1. for a select few products by a lot,
    2. or spread the available capital over a wider variety of products, increasing them each by smaller amounts (say 6 QL) with the intention of raising those further in future rounds?
    Any opinions?

• Although they both have their advantages, I found that option one could be better.

General Advantages and Disadvantages:

option 1:
    >Pros
    - Concentrated on a few products and improved a lot
    - If you start with them anyway, you get a bigger increase (by %) at the start.
    - You can knock everything of the same industry down and just produce them when you move on further into the round.
    >Cons
    - You only have ql for those few products, making you quite inflexible
    - Higher initial research costs

option 2:
    >Pros
    - Lower initial research costs
    - Flexibility
    >Cons
    - The increase in revenue may not do you much good until several days into the round when you are making all the goods.
    - If you have limited buildings space (say you could make one more production chain), you would probably make less money.

These are the general pros and cons. You can see that they are about the same. However, if you plan on to increase the ql further, you may want to ask yourself how many high ql products could you afford to research at the same time. You would probably need to research a high ql product on its own (1 facility only), or you would have to research it with other low ql products (more than 1 facility). It may take a while (probably serveral rounds) for you to be able to afford researching more than one high ql product (be it RL 0). So, option 1 is better in the long run.

The other factor you need to consider is that the selling price increase in % with the ql. That is you put the same amount into research, but it may not have the same yield. Take fabric and knitting needles as example, the same increase in ql could result in a huge difference between the 2 products in term of profit. So, choose wisely which product to research.

Lastly, researching with 5/40 option is the cheapest, assuming you would research to q100 eventually and you increase your price to the max shop selling price whenever your ql increase. The 6/48 is more convenient though, because it ends at the same time every two days.

D,D&D SP 8)

"When they discover the center of the universe, a lot of people will be disappointed to discover they are not it."
    --Bernard Bailey

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von dktc ()

• Thank you once again, dktc. I really appreciate all the information. I can see how option one would benefit more in the long run. And it never occured to me to check whether one length option might be more cost-effective than the others.

Since I only started playing the last month of this round and never went beyond RL 7, I didn't get to experiment with the higher lines of production. So choosing which product QLs to raise is a gamble, since I might end up discovering I'm better off with completely other types later. But looking over the SuDe for other products periodically helps on that.

I'm still a bit unsure of pricing; a certain amount of trial and error seems necessary. I found one post that suggested using the norm price times 1.5 as long as it isn't overproduced, and that's been a good rule of thumb for many products. But some products at QL 0 seem to sell well in my shops for the highest price on the SuDe even when they're overproduced by a large amount. And of course pricing for the market is completely different than for the shop. Now I have the increased QL on some, which adds another factor to the mix. I have to hand it to the creators. I'm finding this all quite fascinating.

The one thing I wish we had here was a way to see how many units a building will produce. The most cotton a farm will produce when upgraded to level ten is 20 units. That's quite a difference from wheat, which produces far more than that at level 0. So that makes it difficult when you're trying to decide what new line to begin in a limited amount of building space. But you can bet I'm keeping lists of those I've been able to find out for future rounds!

• Zitat

Originally posted by Kahla
    Since I only started playing the last month of this round and never went beyond RL 7, I didn't get to experiment with the higher lines of production. So choosing which product QLs to raise is a gamble, ...

What I meant was simply for the same amount of research costs (same lvl of research facility), you would get different yields. The norm of RL0 products and how many you sell varies. The higher the norm, the more you can from each piece. However, the quantity also complicates it. However, there are obvious choices, like eggs are not as good as wine :rolleyes: .

Zitat

I'm still a bit unsure of pricing; ... But some products at QL 0 seem to sell well in my shops for the highest price on the SuDe even when they're overproduced by a large amount.

Max shop selling price = norm*(1.5 + ql/100)
    I believe that is the formula you have read. The "overproduce" is not a clear defined line because the SuDe use inventory information for supply so if a certain product is used as semi-finished good, players would store them as raw goods, and throw the SuDe % off.

Zitat

The one thing I wish we had here was a way to see how many units a building will produce.

This has been reflected and the admins have recently add the units one could sell in shop to the product page in portal. As for units a building could produce.... I can't answer that for the admins.

D,D&D SP 8)

--Bernard Bailey

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von dktc ()

• Zitat

The norm of RL0 products and how many you sell varies. The higher the norm, the more you can from each piece. However, the quantity also complicates it. However, there are obvious choices, like eggs are not as good as wine

I understand - I can make far more profit per unit from shoes than I can from knitting needles, so raising the shoe QL would be the obvious wiser choice of the two. I learned from my cafe this round that while icecream gives less profit per unit than white coffee, I can sell far more icecream in a cafe than I can white coffee, so I actually make far more profit from the icecream each wu. And then some products require far more buildings than others, leaving less room for others - some things make enough profit to make that worthwhile, some don't. So it pays to sit down and look at all that before deciding. I'm still discovering all this stuff, but all the advice and info I've gotten here on the forum has been wonderfully helpful.

Zitat

The "overproduce" is not a clear defined line because the SuDe use inventory information for supply so if a certain product is used as semi-finished good, players would store them as raw goods, and throw the SuDe % off.

Ah, now it makes more sense! I wasn't clear on what the SuDe was using to determine it. Knowing that, it'll help me recognize which products might be misleading that way on the SuDe.

:)

• Zitat

I learned from my cafe this round that while icecream gives less profit per unit than white coffee, I can sell far more icecream in a cafe than I can white coffee, so I actually make far more profit from the icecream each wu.

Yea, icecream is nice.

Btw, how did you manage to read what I wrote? I got a verb left out and used 2 "however"s back to back :rolleyes: .
    Note to self: don't post at 5 am next time :P

D,D&D SP 8)

--Bernard Bailey

• I read fluent typo. lol

Oh, by the way! This round should end either the last of April or the first of May, correct? I didn't see it actually posted anywhere, so I'm going by the dates from the last round.

• This round should end on 30 April. Last wu would be 24:00mn, 30 April, server time (CET). Reset would occur about 5~10 minutes later. First wu for next round will be 12:00nn, 1 May, server time. The announcement for round reset usually doesn't get post until a couple of days before the reset... so I guess I beat stdok or maikel to it :P (... and no, I don't mean beating them until they get to it :rolleyes: )

D,D&D SP 8)

--Bernard Bailey

3 Mal editiert, zuletzt von dktc ()

• One more question. I have more than one research building. The first one is at a standstill; the second is currently researching. If I were to go ahead and assign new research to the first one, is that going to lose the progress the second one has already made? I would think that as long as I only touch the one, it should be alright, but the warning I get when attempting to do so is rather dire.

--

Edit: Never mind. I decided to go ahead and try it. Nothing terrible happened. :P

• Zitat

Originally posted by dktc
    Max shop selling price = norm*(1.5 + ql/100)
    I believe that is the formula you have read. The "overproduce" is not a clear defined line because the SuDe use inventory information for supply so if a certain product is used as semi-finished good, players would store them as raw goods, and throw the SuDe % off.

I think this rule of thumb mist be changed a little:

i tried this calc rule: Max shop selling price = norm*(1.5 + ql/100)
    seeing my products not being sold anymore...... so i played with the calculation a bit and found the following:

Max shop selling price = norm*(1.5 + (own Q - Avg Q)/100)

"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination"

• Yep you are so right, i miscalculated in my own QL. the max QL of the product wasn't reached by the QL of a semi-product....

"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination"