Improving the game's english - Volunteers needed

• I think it would be a good idea to overwork some of the terms and phrases of Itycoon in order to make the game easier to understand for english-speaking users.

I have started to re-translate the manual from german to english and will have a first draft ready in a couple of days. I also think that some adjustments should me done to the in-game language.

My idea of how to proceed is as follows and I require help by english native speakers who are familiar with the game and possibly some economy-related terminology... Well this is the plan:

- At first we have a look at some of the in-game technical terms and agree on the best wording. Have you seen any terms (not language mistakes) that might be misleading? A classical example is the "shopping worth" which should be somethng like "shopping attractiveness" or so. Should it be "capital" or would maybe "cash" be a better term? etc

- At the same time we take a look at the product and building list (see here English product list and here English research list).
    Please post your suggestions in this thread and maybe add a reason (like: a logging camp should produce logs, deep-frezzer is spelled incorrect and should be called ice box to distinguish it from the refrigerator)

-Once the technical terms are agreed on we can start to reword some of the in game texts. Maikel has already agreed to provied ALL texts used in the game in some format.
    It is smart to fix the technical terms first because it does not make sense to fix a language error in the game but refer to the wrong or misleading term.

Since i'm german and not an english native speaker I can help with some translation stuff but my english is not the most elegant and I do quite a few mistakes and rely on everyone's help.

I am still looking for volunteer(s) to check and cross read my translation of the manual.

Please feel free to submit your suggestions for changes of any terminology (product names/building names and technical terms) in this thread.

Language mistakes (bad grammar etc) of the in-game text will be looked into at a later stage.

regards
    replikant aka firma0816

PS: this post is not authorized by any of the staff/supporters. However I spoke with maikel and stdok in the chat and they signalled thumbs up :o)

• Zitat

Original von replikant
    PS: this post is not authorized by any of the staff/supporters. However I spoke with maikel and stdok in the chat and they signalled thumbs up :o)

Should we authorize threads?
    Sure, its very helpfull if english-speaking users spend time for this. And we german-speaking users/staff can help to explain some german sentences.

In additional I can give u the recommendation to use a wiki project for this. Is a better configuration than threads here. So it may help if any english-speaking user can provide this.

JW

• Zitat

Original von John_Walker
    Should we authorize threads?
    Sure, its very helpfull if english-speaking users spend time for this. And we german-speaking users/staff can help to explain some german sentences.

Sure that would be helpful.
    Also some "advertizing" of the project might help and make this forum even more popular:)
    What we need first is a number of enthused volunteers.

Zitat

Original von John_Walker
    In additional I can give u the recommendation to use a wiki project for this. Is a better configuration than threads here. So it may help if any english-speaking user can provide this.

To be honest I think we should not blow this task out of proportion. I think we are facing a handful of technical terms that are to be changed and maybe 25 product names or so. Once these changes are fixed it should only be an afternoon's job for an experienced player to re-word in-game texts wherever necessary. And work can be done parallel by several people.

But ofcourse a wiki project might be a good idea to keep track of future changes in the game and have them translated or explained by volunteers.

• A wiki may be overkill for technical terms, but it would be the proper place for the manual to be worked on.

To that end, lets start with terms that I find confusing. I am not suggesting that they be changed.

increase in good will: increase in company value
    Capital : cash
    Wooden Loco: wooden train
    Wooden boards: lumber
    taws: marbles
    petroleum: oil
    sledge: sled
    friction train: metal train
    sun protection: sun screen
    Deep-frezzer: ice box
    Entrepot: ??
    IT- as in IT-Company: Current
    cut wood: logs
    resume production: change production level
    shoping worth: customer satisfaction
    Patents: Trade secrets

I also think that the term "research" is confusing since it applies to more than one concept. How about:
    upgrade: increase productivity
    QL research: quality enhancement (do not use the term level to refer to quality)
    level research: technical research (use the term level or compentence)

Walter

• Thanks wwf
    I like some of your suggestions and have added them to a list, especially "customer satisfaction"... nice term and pretty self explanatory.

I think wooden loco should remain what it is or be "wooden locomotive"... because there are the friction train and the model railway it might cause confusion otherwise? friction train > metal train makes sense though.

sun screen... ok we dont use sun cream... sunscreen it is. ok. thanks quik.

IT-Company... IT means industry tycoon. should remain for consistency with german

research: ok the terminology is a bit tricky, but i say we keep it that way for consistency.

I have a few to add:

Technical terms:
    firm > company
    Knock down > demolish
    Pcs. (Stk.) > units (?)

Product names:
    Grain wood > pulp wood
    Sun protection > sun cream

Building names:
    Property market > Do-it-Yourself store (this was clearly a translation error, baumarkt/bau-markt/propery market = immobilienmarkt)
    Hardware store > Household supply store? (i think a hardware store also sells hammers, nails and these items?)

• How about "sun block" or "tanning lotion" for sun protection?

If IT stands for Industrial Tycoon, then keep it. It was never explained in the english documentation.

I would call grain wood "wood pulp" or just "pulp".

It is hard to differentiate a "property market" and a "hardware store". (In Canada, we have a property market called "Home Depot", and a hardware store called "Home Sense".)
    In fact tools, ladders, etc are usually sold in a hardware store. For property market, you may prefer "building supply store" or "tool store" or "lumber yard". For "hardware store" you may prefer "appliance store" or "kitchen store". I think the big differentiator between these two industries/stores is that one is conserned about outside of the house, and the other about the inside of the house.

Also you have to have a name that means something in all english speaking countries. I am in Canada. The US, UK, Australia, etc also are english speeking and have different names for things.

A few building name suggestions:

Chemical factory: Chemical plant or oil refinery.
    Henfarm: Chicken farm.
    Paper mill: Pulp mill
    Steelworks: Steel mill

Again, these are just suggestions. Some are poor suggestions. I would like to see what others can come up with.

Walter

• Zitat

Original von wwf

It is hard to differentiate a "property market" and a "hardware store". (In Canada, we have a property market called "Home Depot", and a hardware store called "Home Sense".)
    In fact tools, ladders, etc are usually sold in a hardware store. For property market, you may prefer "building supply store" or "tool store" or "lumber yard". For "hardware store" you may prefer "appliance store" or "kitchen store". I think the big differentiator between these two industries/stores is that one is conserned about outside of the house, and the other about the inside of the house.
    Walter

Ooh now this is interesting and i had no clue it seems.
    I was not aware that "property market" actually had a meaning in common english, i have never come across it related to an actual store.
    The german term "baumarkt" is self explanatory. Its where you go to buy all the stuff needed to fix an old house, gardening stuff too. from a wooden birchwood discount offer to a high price laser guided drilling machine you get everything a hetero male desires (kidding). I think DIY store or do-it-yourself store is the closest fitting match... maybe "property market" does make sense for everyone though... i didnt find it in the dictionary.

The "hardware" store in the game seems to indeed sell kitchen things more or less... i dont think hardware store is the right description here... or is it?

where are the other native speakers? I want more suggestions!

• patents, when you look at this game it is more like it shud be chngd to research and development....patent, wud be that one company made the orig product and other companies have to pay the creator a fee for using the item...so just say r&d...

shop worth, that can be considered in two ways....value of the store based on product in the store and satisfaction of the customer whom purch goods...since the customer satisfaction in this game is based on a good pricing system for the goods sold...so i would just say shop value....

having been a truck driver and been to many a plant -- seen things made and moved raw goods and finished goods...some terms need to be changed...

deep frezzer, well, close but spelling error....when you first develop this item, back in the old days it was called an icebox...purely because it was a block of ice in a ceramic pantry that kept items cold...from what i have heard from others, that have translated the german wording - it basically means ice box...

sun protection, basically sunscreen....

cut wood = logs
    wooden boards = lumber...basically at the yard, they cut the logs into various sizes of boards...and those are stacked and and shipped to make houses or other goods/finished products....
    grainwood = pulp, this basically used to make paper/paper products...
    firm everyone knows that same as saying company, but for young ones, it might make sense to chng it to company...
    knockdown = demolish
    wooden loco = wooden train

i was born in germany and my mother is german...i wud be happy to go through the manual...i have found things in the manual that make it hard to understand and have learned basically from playing and making mistakes... (even bankruptcy last round 3 times and once this time as well)....

happy to volunteer...

• thanks!

mental note after our chat...

property market > do-it-yourself store
    hardware store > household store
    wooden loco > wooden locomotive
    friction train > metal train
    sun protection > sun SCREEN ok i drop the cream idea
    logs, lumber, pulp wood
    patents unchanged. considered understandable and i veto changes for reasons of consistency

almost forgot:
    raw goods vs. products and...
    raw goods warehouse/product warehouse/export warehouse

• wow thanks, i was really wondering what the meaning of "property market" was, my first (and foolish XD) thought was some sort of real estate office, but there's no such thing

if you need to re-write stuff to improve the English of the game, i'd like to help
    just let me know

good luck