Introspection and Industry Tycoon

• How do you know you have been playing too much?

When you get up in the morning and some of your to do's for the day are buying "Oil" to make "Plastic" to make "Dolls". This happens to me. I make this mental list of things to do for the day. Write emails to some colleagues, meet with my boss at 4pm, call the phone company, make sure I have enough "Precious metals" to make your "High-grade steel". All of a sudden, the tasks in the real world become conceptually indistinguishable from the task in the virtual world of IT. Someone mentions the world "Cutlery" and that reminds me of the "Precious Metals" that I have not yet bought and I MUST before I ran out.

I was in a supermarket, doing some late evening shopping. Looking at the shelves, trying to remember what I needed. "I need eggs," I think. But then I freeze. Do I need eggs for my fridge or "Eggs" for the "Breakfast" I sell in my "Cafes". Shopping lists, todo lists, all become one in the mind of the avid TI player.

I completed a survey recently about online games (the one that is linked in this forum). There, they ask (in other words) whether you bring your own personality into the online games. But they fail to ask the other, perhaps more interesting question, of whether the game is affecting the way you think about your everyday tasks, for instance on how your keep household inventories.

I also find that I develop some affective dimension towards the industries that I decide to nurture. I know that at this stage in the game it is better to sell "Wheat" than "Breakfast", it is better to sell "Steel" than "Tricycles". And yet, and yet, I keep on doing it. Because the cafe and the toy shop are part of my mini empire and I like them.

I have only been playing this game for 20 days. I do not know how long I will last. I would like to ask my fellow players (suppliers, customers, competitors, all of above) whether they also have thoughts to share about how they think about the game when you are not playing (e.g. while you are on the metro) and whether thoughts of the type "I wish people would sell more milk" or "I hate that the price of Cotton is so high!" pop up during your everyday life.

Thanks and my apologies if this is out of the scope of the forum.

"The future is here. It's just not evenly distributed yet." (W. Gibson)

• One of my friends played once a known shooter for some days with almost no pause, and then, as he went to his fridge, he let drop some yoghurt. His first thought was -

"Quickload"

I tried to turn the pages of a (paper) book i was reading before my computer with a mouseclick.

So, you are not the only one.

• londenio

Yea I know the feeling... In random situations (I sit with family or friends) and I check the time... and things cross my mind like "oh my research level just finished" ... or "I must be out of rubber by now... but wait I think I still got enough tires in stock... i hope they are in the right warehouse"... its sooo geek:)

but i'm glad you like the game too:)

HAL

I was reading a magazine and came across a term I didnt know precisely... but wanted to find out more about. My eyes turned to the top right of the page, looking for my wikipedia search box

• My friends and family are all quite familiar with the phrase "Oh I can't just yet, I have to go fill my warehouse."

I've mentioned in passing that I needed eggs, and then my husband heard me and picked some up while he was out. Of course, I had plenty in the fridge at the time - I only needed them on IT.

I've said that I made coffee and my poor puzzled husband looked at the empty coffeemaker and then at me, wondering if my mind had finally slipped. He's getting used to it, though, poor dear.

At least when I say I made cookies, he can be sure they're in the cookie jar where he can find them. That may change, if IT ever decides to incorporate cookies into their cafes. :P