The True Meaning of SuDe

• The manual states:

"Supply/Demand
    This bar graph displays the supply/demand relationship of a product. The supply-bar will get larger until the supply is higher than 100%, then the demand-bar will start to shrink."

My understanding of "supply" is the quantity of products produced for the market. While I understand "demand" to be the quantity of products that the market is willing to buy. So, does this understanding of terms used in economics translate directly to IT?

Before you answer too quickly, I have some more information:

1. I was producing motorcycles in the speed game and selling them in my shop. The SuDe showed the market to be 89% supplied. It also showed the normal price for a motorcycle to be 95695. I started selling the motorcycles at 135,000 and everything went fine for a day or so. Then I could only sell 1 or 2 motorcycles per day. I looked at the SuDe and there was no change still 89%. I had to lower my price to 55,000 to satisfy the demand in my shop. Now, if the market demand isn't satisfied you would expect to sell your product above normal price. But that didn't happen here.

2. I spoke to DDD about this in chat. He said that the SuDe shows what is in storage as supply. So, the SuDe graph would show the ratio of stored goods to demand. I found this explanation unsatisfactory because: a. it doesn't match my understanding of the term from economics, b. it would make the SuDe much less useful, c. It doesn't match what I've seen in the SuDe when I'm the only producer of a product.

So I'm looking for some clarification in what the SuDe is. Is it what DDD says? Is it what I expected it to be in the beginning? If so, why couldn't I sell the motorcycles?

-Dave
    No-Knots (speed)
    One-Stroke (slow)

PS. Here are all the data surrounding the MC sales:
    Avg Sale Price : 181,566
    Avg QL : 69
    My QL : 0
    Normal Price: 95695
    My Store Price: 55,000

• Actually, supply and demand are the price-quantity relations in economics, not the quantity. They illustrate how much goods would be produced/bought at what price.

My understanding is that the supply is illustrated by the amount produced at that time. What it doesn't take into consideration is the over-production stored and the under-production selling from the stored goods.

Most of the time, you could sell at max at about 100~120%. That is because there are over-productions stored in the warehouses, not selling in shops. For your case, a possible reason is that someone is selling off stored/bought goods if my understanding is correct.

I would like to hear more as well... because I think my knowledge is getting rusty after the summer holiday :(

D,D&D SP 8)
    Both normal round & speedround

"When they discover the center of the universe, a lot of people will be disappointed to discover they are not it."
    --Bernard Bailey

• as to No. 1: demand of motorcycles is: 5, 6, 6, 3 --> means in winter the demand is half of the highest demand in summer / autumn. The SuDe is calculating with the 6. But when SuDe is higher then 50% you can't sell to max. price in winter (but still in summer / autumn).

as to No. 2: as i know, it is the storage and the producing --> supply

Zitat

Most of the time, you could sell at max at about 100~120%. That is because there are over-productions stored in the warehouses, not selling in shops. For your case, a possible reason is that someone is selling off stored/bought goods if my understanding is correct.

seems to be correct

• All:

I think it is probably a little easier than all that. The blue green graphs are scaled so that one of them is always at full length. The other graph line is then whichever, supply or demand, is the smaller, and is simply sized appropriately.

To investigate the impact of inventory simply check farm products the month prior and after the harvest. If there's a big change, then we know inventory has an impact. If not, then not.

• OK, here's a simpler situation that still doesn't match what I understand from other shops and from what's I've been able to glean from this game so far.

I've started selling luxury motor cars. LMC sell for the same quantity each season. Here's the SuDe:

Luxury motor-car
    Rl 45 | ØSelling price: 497844
    Normal price: 218515
    Own QL: 0 | ØQL: 85

Supply = 52.04%

I've set my ql0 luxury motor-cars to 200,000 and I can satisfy the demand in one store but only half the demand in another. By experience in other stores I'd expect to sell max in every store while pricing the cars at 320,000 - just under 1.5*normal. The supply is well under the demand. If I were selling icecream or raincoats they'd be flying off the shelves, but not Luxury cars or motorcycles.

Is there something I'm missing because there are so many high QL cars on the mkt? Why does shop #1 always sell it's full allotment (4) while shop #3 only sells half that (2)? (btw shops are SW150, lvl 8)

• SuDe= Supply/Demmand

in short...when the supply get up...(100%) Demand goes down...
    when there is too much supply...
    simply the demand goes down and cut the price off...

but while the demand is up (100%)
    it means too less on production...only means you can sell your stuffs for max and maybe above max...