Beiträge von wwf

I have noticed that Coffee is a level 0 product, but is made from a cans which are a level 33 product. In the current game, there is no product that is made from higher level products.

I do not think that this is a manufacturing problem, but it may be for the cafe which sells the product. A company at research level 0 can open a cafe and sell coffee, but they cannot produce any coffee. They may loose shopping worth on a product that they cannot make.

Then again, this may be a "feature" like product research. It is possible to do product research at a low research level, but may bankrupt the company if it is done.

Anyways, the idea of a market for tea leaves, coffee beans and cocoa beans is a novel idea. I hope that it works well. It will add another dimension to this game. The game will now act as a supplier as well as a consumer.

Walter

How about "sun block" or "tanning lotion" for sun protection?

If IT stands for Industrial Tycoon, then keep it. It was never explained in the english documentation.

I would call grain wood "wood pulp" or just "pulp".

It is hard to differentiate a "property market" and a "hardware store". (In Canada, we have a property market called "Home Depot", and a hardware store called "Home Sense".)
    In fact tools, ladders, etc are usually sold in a hardware store. For property market, you may prefer "building supply store" or "tool store" or "lumber yard". For "hardware store" you may prefer "appliance store" or "kitchen store". I think the big differentiator between these two industries/stores is that one is conserned about outside of the house, and the other about the inside of the house.

Also you have to have a name that means something in all english speaking countries. I am in Canada. The US, UK, Australia, etc also are english speeking and have different names for things.

A few building name suggestions:

Chemical factory: Chemical plant or oil refinery.
    Henfarm: Chicken farm.
    Paper mill: Pulp mill
    Steelworks: Steel mill

Again, these are just suggestions. Some are poor suggestions. I would like to see what others can come up with.

Walter

A wiki may be overkill for technical terms, but it would be the proper place for the manual to be worked on.

To that end, lets start with terms that I find confusing. I am not suggesting that they be changed.

increase in good will: increase in company value
    Capital : cash
    Wooden Loco: wooden train
    Wooden boards: lumber
    taws: marbles
    petroleum: oil
    sledge: sled
    friction train: metal train
    sun protection: sun screen
    Deep-frezzer: ice box
    Entrepot: ??
    IT- as in IT-Company: Current
    cut wood: logs
    resume production: change production level
    shoping worth: customer satisfaction
    Patents: Trade secrets

I also think that the term "research" is confusing since it applies to more than one concept. How about:
    upgrade: increase productivity
    QL research: quality enhancement (do not use the term level to refer to quality)
    level research: technical research (use the term level or compentence)

Walter

Astor,

I rechecked my test cases and you seem to be correct.
    The amount you can sell in a shop is:

(base_amount)*(shopping_worth)*(1.05^shop_level) rounded to the nearest integer.

The amount you can produce in a factory is:

(base_amount)*(100 + factory_level*10)/100 rounded to the nearest integer.

Walter

As a consequence, the number of offered items in a store may never be increased.

If the number of items is 9 or less for shopping worth of 100, then upgrading a shop will never have an effect on the item.

Why?
    Start with a base of 9 items offered per WU.
    Upgrade your shop.
    Increase items offered by 5%. 9*(1.05)=9.45. This is rounded.
    Your new base number is 9. Your shop is upgraded to level 1.
    Repeat.
    Upgrade your shop.
    Increase items offered by 5%. 9*(1.05)=9.45. This is rounded.
    Your new base number is 9. Your shop is upgraded to level 2.

So you cannot sell more items by upgrading if your base number of items is less than 10.

Walter

My guess is that the reset would be on May 1st at 0:00 CET.
    I got this by "reading" the German forum. However I cannot read German. ?(

This would mean that the final WU would correspond to 4/168.
    This is much sooner than I expected.

Walter

I was rereading the manual and forums and was wondering what is kept after a reset.
    It seems to me that quality level research is kept from one round to another.
    I thought that product/building level was also kept, but I could not find it mentioned.
    So,

1) Is product/building level kept from one round to another or is it reset to zero after each round?

2) If product level is reset, then you may have products at a non-zero quality level that you cannot produce since you may not have gained enough product/building levels to produce them. Is this correct?

Thanks,

Walter

Thanks for replying.

1) Thanks for letting me play again.

2) I must be blind. I thought I read and understood the rules. I reread rule 19 and I obviously violated it. My fault.

3) I am sorry the other users were also punished, but the punishment is also plainly explained in your rules.

Again, thanks for pointing out the obvious.

Walter

My account (Thoughtful Solutions) has been terminated and I know you do not owe me any explaination but could you answer a few questions for me?

1) Can I start another business, or am I permantately banned from the game? It is a great game and I would still like to play it.

2) I was trying to award my suppliers who have helped me make a lot of money. I wanted to get their quality level research up so that they could supply me with new products. I did this by buying and selling the same product to them to transfer cash to them. I guess this is was considered a violation of rule number 5. Is this correct?

3) Have my suppliers (Pirates and Wudchuckers) also been punished by having their accounts terminated? If so could their accounts be reinstated? I was the one who suggested and initiated this transfer. You can look at the chat logs for proof of this.

Thanks for the game. :)

Walter

The little chat screen at the bottom of the window (noGFX option) adds chat text at the top of the screen, then scrolls down to the bottom. I have to manually scroll up any time there is a new line in the conversation.

I am using firefox on Linux.

Walter

I propose a new feature called "auto-trading".

This is a trade like sending a product to another business. An example would be:

Business A sends 300 Cotton in month 2 to Business B for $15500 per unit.

The trade would have to be approved by both businesses.
    If there is not enough cotton, the trade is not performed.
    There are no penalties for an aborted trade.
    The trade is performed during the WU*.
    The trade would have the same overhead as a regular business to business trade.

I also propose that only one trade per month is allowed per business. This would keep the processing overhead low. It would also not disturb the game balance too much.

Walter

* The trade would probably be done after all other updates so that the goods are sent after the sender has manufactured the goods, but the goods arrive at the receiver too late for him to use the goods.

This is not about market prices.

This is a limitation in what values I can set in the Forward Goods screen.
    This game screen does not allow me to sell fabric at a higher price than the maximum price of cotton. The game will reject my attempt at selling at the prices I want to charge.

Are you telling me that some people use these game limitations as part of a strategy?

It seems strange to me that I can sell cotton QL0 for $19423 on the market, but I the maximum price I can sell fabrics QL0 is $18539.

Is this just a result of the different ways to calculate raw product and produced product costs?

Quality level is increased by doing research in a research building. You have to build a research building before you can do quality research.

Be careful. A research building costs $1 000 000 to build and $500 000 a month to maintain even if no research is done. It is very easy to bankrupt yourself with one of these buildings since if you do not have any money (are in a deficit) you cannot even tear down the building to try to save money.

To do just one level of research on one product, you have to erect a building and do research for 10 months. This costs about $6 000 000. I suspect that most higher quality level products are produced by people who carried over their built up quality level from previous rounds.

I have calculated that if you started this round with quality level 0 on a product, the most you could have boosted it up would be to level 40 by 8/27 and it would have cost $161 000 000.