IT quick start Cafe

• Now that I'm doing well in IT people ask me, "how do you make money in IT?" Or they ask "how do I get started?" So, I'll answer both of those questions briefly with this quick start guide.

The surest way to turn a profit is to build a shop and a production line to support it.

There are lots of shops to chose from and they all have their strong points, even if it takes a while to find it in some of them ;)

I'll give the cafe example, because I like cafe. Build 1 cafe, 3 food industries, and 3 cattle ranches. Set your production for cacao, and ice cream. Check the production log to make sure you set it all right. Raise the prices in your shop to 1.5 * normal price, a little lower for ice cream because it's over-sold.

That example uses the better part of 2.5M and it makes a good amount of money for an initial set up.

After that, build more and sell more. Fill all 100 squares. If those 7 squares make 120K/ wu, then 100 squares of cafe should make about 1.6M/wu. Not bad, but not great.

Upgrade your buildings, try other products, go up the RL tree, and get some quality levels. All of these things will increase your income. (well, trying other products may or may not increase you income :P)

Good luck.

-Dave
    One-Stroke (slow)
    No-Knots (speed)

• Thanks One-Stroke. I love insightful posts from veterans.

I started IT towards the end of last round. After reading the forums, I decided to try Toyshop. Ended with 2 shops and making decent money. At the start of this round, I went back to Toyshop but when I got to 3 shops, I diversified and set up a DIY shop then a grocery. Big mistake. Keeping them supplied became a nightmare. So many resources to juggle and attempting to upgrade buildings took me from positive to negative cashflow in the blink of an eye. I have shut down the DIY and grocery and currently have 5 toy shops. Slowly upgrading buildings to meet requirements. I figure I can keep 7 toyshops supplied with everything but Jokes.

My conclusion would be that concentrating on 1 industry until you learn how to set it up correctly then diversifying is the best route. Diversifying has its bonuses though due to new products becoming available through RL more often. I also attempted to build all the different products for each industry when I should have concentrated on the most profitable at first. Live and learn or go bankrupt, I guess.

• It is usually good to have more than 1 industry because demand could drop after a while. Having more than 3 is not encouraged though. And of course, it is always a good idea to gain some experiences before testing yourself to the limit. A good idea is to have complimentary industries that use similar resources. It would be easier to manage.

And Dave, I thought I swore you to secrecy about the cafes..... ;)

D,D&D SP 8)
    Both normal round & speedround

"When they discover the center of the universe, a lot of people will be disappointed to discover they are not it."
    --Bernard Bailey